6.18.2008

For My Reader, Rebecca

My dear friend Rebecca recently reminded me that the last time I posted, it was the end of March. So, this one's for her...

The last few months have been sort of a blur of activity. My first weddings of the season were in April, and it has been a bit crazier than I expected. I knew my weekends (Thursday through Sunday) would be busy with weddings. What I didn't realize is how busy Monday-Wednesday would be. Those are the days I spend catching up on everything and everyone I had to put off while I was occupied with a wedding (or 2) over the weekend. But, it is definitely a blessing for such a young, small business to be so busy!

My biggest wedding of the summer was on June 7th. I was so nervous! I get nervous for every wedding that I do because I really care about it, I've invested a big part of myself into creating the flowers, and it's not like you get a second chance. I can't just say "oh, you don't like your bouquet? OK, let's try again next weekend!" But this one I was especially nervous for. Eric kept reminding me to have confidence in myself, but it's hard sometimes. As it turns out, the bride (and everyone else in the family, wedding party, guests, etc.) were thrilled with the flowers and raved about them over and over again! What a relief!

As I was cleaning up my flower shop today, I took a minute just to sit down and look around. I was overwhelmed with gratitude to God for giving me such a fun talent that I can use to generate income for my family and for giving me the guts I needed to quit my job and go for it! I've come quite a long way from trying to do flowers in my parent's kitchen! My shop is super cute-- it has french doors, grid windows, a custom-made tall-enough-for-me workbench, and shelves stocked with supplies and a big, huge cooler. All this, and it's only a few feet from my back door! I can't believe my little business has been up and running for a year now! I still feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants a lot of the time, but I love it! My family has been so supportive, especially my husband. I know that I would not be doing this without his support, confidence and help. I am so blessed!

In other news, I was just voted on to the board of directors for the Enumclaw Chamber of Commerce. Crazy, huh? I'm excited to be a part of our community in this new role. I love our little town-- everyone should come and visit!

Well, I think that's a pretty good update for now. I'll put up some pictures from this summer's weddings as soon as I start to get some back.

Hooray for God for the blessings of self-employment!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hooray!

Wow...look at you all board of directorsy! You're so grown up!

I might be ready to move soon. Especially if you're on the chamber of commerce's board. It's got to be a great little town. :)

Paula said...

You know you want to. :)

James T Wood said...

What the stuff!

That's great. If you are doing anything close to what we had at our wedding then people will be thrilled.