1.19.2006

Volunteering


I know a lot of you know my job title, or at least the name of the organization I work for. For those of you who don't know, I am the Volunteer Coordinator at Vision House. Vision House is a Christian Non-Profit that provides transitional housing for homeless moms and kids and also homeless single men in a seperate program. We currently run 2 women's homes with apartments for 15 families as well as a beautiful child care center, and 2 men's homes with room for up to 8 men total. My job is to recruit, train, and schedule volunteers. It is very rewarding and very challenging work. We have all sorts of volunteer opportunities from office work and building maintenance to working directly with Vision House kids. Many of the people in my family have become Vision House volunteers, and I know they have been blessed by it. The picture in this post is of my sister and my niece volunteering at the Vision House Kid's Christmas Party. I had a really cute one of my mom with one of the little boys too, but I can't post pictures of Vision House kids. I'm wondering what sorts of volunteer activities other friends and family members are invloved in. So, if you have a second, leave a comment and let me know what kind of volunteer work you are currently involved in. Or, if you're not doing volunteer work, would you like to? Are you just too busy, or have you not found the right organization yet? What would motivate you to start volunteering? I just came back from a great volunteer manager's training put on by the United Way, and it made me curious about the volunteerism of the people I know. So... comment away!

2 comments:

breanna said...

leading by example...the best leadership there is. way to go paula. i love you. and thanks for the reminder that we should all be giving back.

Mike Lewis said...

Say "hi" to Eric for me.