1.09.2008

Of Christmas & Cars


It has been an interesting couple of weeks around the Pritchard household...

Let's start by filling you in on what we got my hubby for Christmas. Eric plays the bass, and he loves it. It's one of the things that makes him really happy, and he's quite good at it. He plays for the worship team at our church, and I sing, so it's a great ministry for us to do together. For years, Eric has wanted to build his own bass amp, but the components are pretty expensive. He's had a couple of them for a long time- before we were married. After we got married, it got put on the back burner as far as financial priorities go, so he hasn't been able to get any new components for about 3 years. He had 3 major components left to get other than some cords, etc. So, for Christmas, his parents got him the racking system, and everyone in my family went in to get him his bass cabinet. It was awesome-- it was a lot of work to keep him totally in the dark, but he was so surprised and excited! His birthday is coming up next month, so I'm excited to see if we can all work together again to get him the last piece he needs. Hooray!

We had a great Christmas with our families. We spent the afternoon/evening of the 23rd with Eric's family for our traditional Christmas dinner/gift exchange/hang out and visit. It was lovely. On Christmas Eve, we met some friends for lunch and then spent the evening with my family- we went to Aunty Judy's house, ate, exchanged gifts, piled in the motor-mansion, went to look at some amazing Christmas lights, went to a movie, came back to Judy's and ate some more. Christmas day found us, as usual, at my parents house by 9am. We spend the whole day there in our pj's opening gifts, having dinner and just hanging out. The whole family was there- My sister and her family, Eric & I, Mom & Dad and My brother and his parter, Brent. We had a great time!

We also got to visit with some of our friends who were visiting from out of town. Dustin & Kendy Wallace, who moved from Enumclaw to Omaha at the end of the summer, were in town and we got to spend all of Wednesday evening with them. Aaron and Amy Redelsperger were also in town. They brought their two adorable little girls over and had dinner with us on Thursday night. It was so good to catch up with our friends!

On to the car story-- A few days before Christmas, my transmission started acting up- slipping, etc. I took it to my regular mechanic. He had it for a week (including weekends, Christmas, etc.) but couldn't figure out what was wrong and told me I needed to take it to the dealership. I did. They took another week to figure out what was wrong. Long story short, it needed a new transmission to the tune of $3500. We still owe $5000 on the car. We don't want to invest a bunch of money in it because it's too small for the business and for hauling kids around (not yet!). So, we had them put a $600 band aid on it while we figured out what to do. Another long story short, my parents co-signed on a loan for us, and last night we bought a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx. We love it! It's going to be a great fit for the next season of our life. And, it's still under warranty for awhile, which makes me feel good. Not to mention it has the hauling capacity of a small SUV with the fuel economy of a mid-sized car, and it has the roomiest interior ever, even in the back seat, which is great for us not-so-small folks! Come see me-- I'll give you a ride!


Hooray for God for giving us family and friends and for taking care of us all the time!

No comments: